History of Maseru Preparatory School

We have a very rich and long history at Maseru Prep of which we are very proud. The school dates back to 1890. Therefore it is 125 years old. In 1884 Basutoland (Lesotho) came under direct British Rule and was governed by the High Commissioner in Cape Town. In 1890 English speaking missionaries resided in the Maseru ‘camp’ and they needed a school for their children. The Anglican diocese helped to establish the school but it was also subsidised by the Basutoland government.

It was first housed in a little cottage near the camp. Sister Maria Burton was one of the first teachers to work at the school and she stayed there for more than 15 years. From there the school moved to a small iron and wood building located close to the present Maseru United Church site. The school had 21 children up to standard 5. It was then known as the Maseru European School. In about 1908 the government built a small sandstone school in what is now Old School Road. Over the next 40 years Maseru European School increased its students and staff and became a well-known school. Prior to 1920 the government had to increase its subsidy substantially but only if senior government officials sat on the management committee.

By 1927 with the assistant resident commissioner as committee chairman, the school was in good financial shape to offer the outgoing committee secretary on honorarium. It seems the schools present rather ambiguous nature as being part private and part government dates from this period. In 1932 the school changed its name to Maseru Preparatory School which continued till the mid-fifties when the present title Maseru English Medium Preparatory School (MEMPS) was adopted. That has now fallen away and the school is now only known as Maseru Preparatory School. In 1962 the first Basotho students were admitted and many other nationalities which make up the schools present International flavour.

Overview of Maseru Prep

Maseru Prep is a co-ed school which caters for children from nursery school (2 years old) to Year 6. At present we have 530 children in the school. The school has 1 headmaster, 29 teachers, 5 HOD’s and 4 subject co-ordinators. We also have non-teaching staff who perform different tasks. We are situated in Maseru West in Lesotho. We are seen and treated as an independent school but we are still part of the Lesotho Ministry of Education. We also have two aftercare classes namely a junior and senior aftercare. Here qualified teachers make sure homework is done and the children are occupied in an educational surrounding.

We teach the Cambridge syllabus and our Year 6 students write the Checkpoint Test every April which is marked by Cambridge. We have been chosen by Cambridge to write the Pre-test for the past two years to check their standard. The language of instruction is English and we also teach Sesotho and French. We also have other specialist subjects like art, At the school we have great facilities like sport fields, swimming pool, gym, hall, library, computer centre, Science lab, library and an educational forest. We also have a big vegetable patch where each class has a plot and they plant, grow and sell their produce.

We have an entrepreneurs programme in collaboration with Young Entrepreneurs in the afternoons for students who want to join at a reduced fee. We have minipreneurs for Y1 and 2 and on-your-marks for Y3-6. We also have monkeynastics for Early Years and Y1 and 2 at the school. We also have swimming, tennis and taekwondo lessons at the school. The school has many extra mural activities in the afternoons. Here the students can choose between a variety of sporting and cultural activities. The school is also a member of ISASA – Independent Schools Association of South Africa.